Monday 18 February 2013

NY adventures Day One (image heavy)

My achiever trip to New York City. That I won (see here)

Oh my goodness. It was such a massive experience. So many firsts, massive amounts of places visited that I have dreamt of my whole life, the whole week was just so much.
If the people travelling with me had known how many times I thought "Its just like in the movies! SQUEEEEE!!" to myself they might just of disowned me lol. SQUEEEEE is my delightedexcitedhappydanceohmygawdimightdiefromexcitement sound. My trip was full of SQUEEEEE moments ;-)

The plane trip there was a really concentrated blend of excitement, fun, and wanting to pass out as I felt so horrid. This was my first visit to another country so the novelty of a larger plane was not lost on me. Having taken a fear of flying course and researched like a mofo it wasn't anywhere as an anxious experience as expected.
The Tv and movie options were plentiful, the crew friendly, and I was on my way to freaking NEW YORK CITY!
Via Los Angeles. In economy. Not a short or comfortable trip for me. My legs and feet melded into one swelled mess at around hour five or six. I found it impossible to sleep, all I wanted to do was lie down flat.
The food? Yummy as. They kept bringing it out. The food, Arj Barker live, and a gazillion episodes of hoarders kept me somewhat sane.
That and getting to stretch the legs at Los Angeles.

Arriving at JFK and the drive into the city as the sun went down was amazeballs. Seeing glimpses of the skyline as we drove in was beautiful. Even the traffic was okay. Since I was in America. In New York.

We stayed at the Park Central hotel. Having read plenty of reviews beforehand I knew I was in for an adventure at best. It was interesting. Black mould on walls. Filthy toilet that didn't flush. Glad wrap  over smoke detector.

Nice.

We asked for a new room. They didn't question why or even apologise. The new one smelt like wet feet and had some suss stains on the sheets. Yuck.

the classy view from our room

 Anyhow, we didn't spend much time in the room, we headed straight out for dinners. Mexican and the yummiest cocktail I ever did have. It was a prickly pear Margarita. Can't even remember the name of the restaurant but it was delicious and the service was incredible. Actually, everywhere we ate was about a gazillion times better than it is in Aus.

Walking up to Times Square after ward was super exciting, actually being in Times Square was pretty surreal. Lots of people trying to hustle for money though. 

At dinner we got told what we needed to wear for the next day but not what was happening. It was like that the whole time. In the weeks leading up to the trip I thought this might really bother me but I actually found it super exciting. Most times we wouldn't find out what we were doing until we arrived at that activity.
Anyhow, we got told to dress nicely as we were going somewhere fancy that afternoon.

Our first full day started with breakfast at some cute diner near the hotel (I will mention here how awful the coffee was I encountered pretty much everywhere in New York! Yuck! So watery and bitter) and walking about ten blocks to our first activity for the day...

so stoked to see a mounted policeman - those horses were obviously really well looked after/loved

Times Square sculptures

Times Square 
 ...a bus tour of downtown - super fun - I loved hearing about the landmarks, history of the buildings, and the stories of the city both new and old. 



me! on the bus, my roommate in the background - she was super gorgeous and really lovely





Flatiron building - super interesting history - it used to be one of the tallest buildings in the city back in its day

and art installation that has been there since the 70's

Building where Heath Ledger was living at the time of his death.

Freedom tower

Financial District

Battery Park

my first squirrel I ever saw! SQUEEEEEEEEEEE! the cutest little things ever

Battery Park -  This sculpture originally sat outside the Twin Towers and was pulled from the rubble and was used here as a temporary memorial while the "official" one was built

We hopped off the bus at the halfway mark - Battery Park - for bathroom break and for a wander. The Parks were all really clean and felt safe to be in. Not like at home here in Newcastle, and especially Sydney. There is always at least graffiti. Barely any here in NY, very impressive.




 After the bus we grabbed some foods and headed into Central Park to picnic. This sadly was my only time - two and a bit hours - that I got to spend in the Park. It was good though because after lunch the group could split and choose to go wherever we liked in the park. I choose Strawberry Fields and the Boathouse and the group leader took me which was helpful lol. So seriously jet lagged and vague with direction lol. That coupled with my anxiety about being on the other side of the world, barely knowing anyone, and being completely out of my comfort zone made for an interesting roller coaster ride of a trip haha.

one of my fave images of the park I took. stoked i spent $ i really didn't have on a new lens before i went

random, but pretty bride we encountered in the restrooms. she was shy


Meeee!

Me and the roomie. super awkward to take selfies with an slr

so pretty

so awkward again lol - i never ever know what to do in front of the camera when someone is taking my pic

me in Central Park!

where Carrie and big fell in the lake - heaps going back one day to eat here








Turns out we needed to look respectable for High Tea at the PLAZA!
So excited for it - it was all so yummy and I felt super posh lol. 






 If you ever have the chance to do this you must. The Palm Court at the plaza was just gorgeous, so in awe of the beauty and history of the room.

We then had an hour or so free before we needed to be back at the hotel, turns out the Plaza is only a few blocks from Tiffany....

It was amazing! So beautiful. The service was a bit dodge though, and its not like I was being an annoying/ignorant tourist either. The floor manager Ben was super helpful though, and he turned the experience back around. My sister scored a gorgeous necklace for her 30th, and I bought a cute little bow necklace for me.
 Way more indulgent than i would usually be for myself - but I fugure it will always be a reminder of my first trip to New York.

We got told to dress nice again for the evening's activity - turns out we were going to see a show. CHICAGO! I'd never seen a musical before and this was incredible.

All of that was only day one! Sightseeing, Central Park, High Tea at the Plaza, Tiffany, and a Broadway show. All in a day.

Have I mentioned that the company I work for are incredible? 

So yeah, that's day one. Thanks for stopping by and putting up with that epic post haha.

Mel xx 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment